Thursday 29 May 2008

Steven Tyler checks into rehab for 'safe environment'

Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler said today (May 29) that he decided to check into rehab to find "a safe environment to recuperate".

The veteran rocker has been undergoing medical treatment and physical therapy for foot problems, which Tyler said have taken their toll on him physically and emotionally.

�??The doctors told me the pain in my feet could be corrected but it would require a few surgeries over time,�?� he said in a statement.

�??The �??foot repair�?? pain was intense, greater than I'd anticipated. The months of rehabilitative care and the painful strain of physical therapy were traumatic. I really needed a safe environment to recuperate where I could shut off my phone and get back on my feet."

Tyler added that he has no intention of letting this slow his band down. "Make no mistake, Aerosmith has no plans to stop rocking. There�??s a new album to record, then another tour.�?�

Tyler battled drug and alcohol abuse problems in the 1970s and 1980s, successfully completing rehab in 1986.

--By our Los Angeles staff.
Find out more about NME.